1st International Conference
This was the 1st International MapWindow GIS Users and Developers Conference. It was held in:
Orlando, Florida, USA
31 March - 2 April 2010
This was a great opportunity to participate in workshops, present your work to the broader community, and be an integral part of this exciting open source GIS project.
Who attended? Programmers using the MapWindow libraries in their own software, end-users looking for specialized training on plug-ins and MapWindow user tools, and students and educators looking for an easy to install, easy to use free GIS for their courses.
About MapWindow GIS
The open source MapWindow GIS project is the most widely used open source GIS specifically for the Windows operating system.
Built tightly around the Microsoft .NET Framework, MapWindow is closely integrated with Windows to give users a seamless end-user experience. MapWindow is free to use and the source code and internal libraries are available for use by third party developers of GIS software.
With over 6000 downloads per month, translations in multiple languages, a world-wide development team, and an exciting roadmap for future development, MapWindow has a bright future.
This conference served a number of purposes:
- It was an opportunity to attend workshops on the use of the MapWindow desktop application as well as developer workshops on Plug-in authoring, ActiveX application development, and working with the new MapWindow 6 .NET libraries.
- It was an opportunity to present your work based on the MapWindow project components and tools and to share ideas and experiences with the rest of the community.
- It was an opportunity to meet with all of the key players in the MapWindow project, share your ideas and insights, look for opportunities to collaborate with other users and developers, build your business contacts in the open source GIS community, and be an integral member of the team as a user and/or developer.
Conference PhotosClick here to view photos from the 1st International MapWindow Conference.
Conference AgendaA full conference agenda took place over three days summarized as follows:
- Day 1: Wednesday, 31 March 2010 - MapWindow Team Meeting - which included selection of the MapWindow Project Steering Committee, and general discussion of goals, plans, etc. (3:00 - 5:00 P.M.)
- Day 2: Thursday, 1 April 2010 – Workshops, workshops, workshops...
- Day 3: Friday, 2 April 2010 – Presentations from conference participants.
The 1st International MapWindow Conference was held at the
Holiday Inn Hotel in the Walt Disney World Resort.
This hotel is within the Walt Disney World Resort property and is within walking distance of Downtown Disney.