MapWindow 4 - ActiveX Control Programming : MapWindow Discussion Forum
I like to deploy my application (.net) that I created using the MapWinGIS.ocx ActiveX control. I found out in this forum that it is not an easy task. Does any person has a good explanation about how to do it? I can deploy in my computer but not in other computer.
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Deploying an application with MapWinGIS.ocx ActiveX control
Posted by: eescalona ()
Date: November 29, 2005 03:00PM

I like to deploy my application (.net) that I created using the MapWinGIS.ocx ActiveX control. I found out in this forum that it is not an easy task.

Does any person has a good explanation about how to do it?

I can deploy in my computer but not in other computer.

Please, I need help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2005 10:45AM by Dan Ames.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deploying .net app with MapWinGIS.ocx ActiveX control
Posted by: Shade1974 ()
Date: November 30, 2005 07:14AM

This is a slightly modified post from my earlier post on Deployment in VB Net.

I use VB Net. If that is what you are working with, you can add a project of type Setup Project. Unfortunately, this takes a bit of learning in and of itself. I have already downloaded the patch that enables me to create setup projects that install the dot-net framework as a boot-strap (meaning it will install it on the target machine if it isn't there already)

follow the directions here:

[msdn.microsoft.com]

Right click on the setup project in the solution explorer to bring up the context menu. Select Properties. In the properties dialog, find the Configuration dropdown at the top left. Choose "All Configurations". Then make sure that the property called Bootstrapper says: Windows Installer Bootstrapper.

Once you add the setup project to your solution, you can view the filesystem to be installed on the target machine. To do this, start by selecting the setup project in the solution explorer. You should see several little colorful icons at the top of the solution explorer that aren't there for your standard project. One of them has a tool tip called File System Editor. Opening this view shows what files you plan on installing on people's computers. Select Application folder. In the window to the right, right click to bring up the context menu. Select Add, then Project Output.

With a normal dot Net solution, this would be enough. You may also have to see instructions for adding MDAC for any project that uses the new data controls. This was also covered in the link posted above.

Finally, you will need a few extras to make your component registration go off without a hitch. By selecting your setup project in solution explorer, you should see several icons appear at the top of the solution explorer window. Click the icon for File System Editor. In the left window that opens up, select Application Folder. In the window to the right, right click and choose Add and Project Output from the context dialog that opens. Then you need to add a few files to the same place where you put your project output: mfcv71.dll, msvcr71.dll, and msvcr71d.dll. You can do that by right clicking as well.

Right click on MapWinGIS.ocx, which should be included with your project output files. Select Properties. In your properties window, you should set the property called "Register" to vsdrfCOM. (Not exactly sure if this is the best option, but it seems to have worked for me before.)

In the solution explorer re-select your setup project. With this selected switch to your properties window. Now you can control all sorts of cool things like the default target folder, the version of your program, and other stuff.

Some of the real authors of the control may have better advice here. I'm not sure that I remember everything I needed to do in order to make a proper setup project, and I don't know how to do it at all with a .cab file. Anyway, I hope this is some help.

Shade1974

Posted by: cmichaelis ()
Date: November 30, 2005 09:05AM

Shade and others,

Another alternative to putting together a setup manually in this fashion is to just download the "MapWindowCFInstaller.exe" from the downloads page (http://www.mapwindow.org/downloads.php) - this is the installer that I put together specifically for redistribution.

You can include this in your own setup application, whether developed with Visual STudio, InstallShield, INNO, etc.

To install the MapWindow/MapWinGIS files, just make your setup program run that during the installation. Useful command line arguments to the setup:

/silent -- This will cause the redistributable installer to show only a progress bar.

/verysilent -- This will cause the redistributable installer to display nothing, just working completely silently.

Thanks, hope this is helpful! This will hopefully alleviate needing to worry about how to register mapwingis.ocx on a target machine, VC++ dependencies, etc.

--Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2005 10:47AM by Dan Ames.

Date: November 30, 2005 04:25PM

Hi there,

The one I was talking about is "MapWindowCFInstall.exe", this is the third option under "MapWindow GIS Application" on the download page.

When you run it, make sure that all other software is closed down. If a file is locked, it will continue waiting on that file until it's available (hanging until the file(s) are available).

Good luck!
--chris

Date: November 30, 2005 04:28PM

Clarification --

MapWindowCFInstall.exe -- installs the .OCX and the MapWindow application, but does not create any start menu icons.

MapWinGISOCXOnly.exe -- Installs solely the .OCX and Visual C++ dependencies.

MapWindowFullInstall*.exe -- (one with .net and one without) Installs the .OCX, the MapWindow application, installs sample data and sample projects, creates start menu icons and file associations.

Re: Deploying .net app with MapWinGIS.ocx ActiveX control and tkBitmap
Posted by: eescalona ()
Date: December 01, 2005 07:19AM

Thanks a lot!!!

I executed MapWinGISOCXOnly.exe in a laptop (without .NET installed) and it worked. Then I installed my application and It worked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2005 10:48AM by Dan Ames.

Re: Deploying an application with MapWinGIS.ocx ActiveX control
Posted by: PhungNguyen ()
Date: January 16, 2006 01:19AM

Hi,
I want to dwonload legend file.OCX for VB.NET. Please, tell me the wweb site to do it.
Thanks a lot.

Posted by: danames ()
Date: January 16, 2006 11:39AM

The MapWinLegend.ocx is available with its source code on this page:

[www.mapwindow.org]

Check the bullet that says "MapWinLegend ActiveX Source Code and VB6 Sample Project (Visual Basic 6)"

Dan

Posted by: wxforecaster ()
Date: January 22, 2006 03:58PM

What *are* the dependencies of the .ocx? I can assure you that many folks aren't interested in downloading a 16.2MB install .exe for an application .exe that's about 200KB in size.

I have included and registered the .ocx through an install script but the app on my other machines says that there are dependencies missing or not correctly registered. I'm only using the Map and none of the other objects. What else is required for just this base?

Thanks in advance,
Evan

Date: January 22, 2006 04:57PM

As an update, I found the source of this problem in VB6. For whatever reason, VB is not seeing mapwingis.ocx as a normal ActiveX control. Therefore instead of performing a dllSelfRegister and putting it into $WinSys directory, the P&D Wizard is defaulting to $AppPath (not a biggy), but also not registering the .dll.

As soon as I changed these settings in the setup.lst file, it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps someone else.

Evan

Date: January 22, 2006 05:22PM

Hi there,

The size of the installation is actually remarkably small given what's in it. There are a number of files which Microsoft doesn't allow redistribution of (a caution for custom installations, btw -- comctl* is probably the most commonly redistributed file that shouldn't be), so the installation uses the Microsoft update tools to download the files for which redistribution isn't allowed.

The installer also contains a version of MapWinGIS.ocx for Windows 98/98SE/ME which is separate from the 2000/XP/2003 release for the purpose of supporting international character sets in the later operating systems, and each of the two .OCX'es is about 4.9meg as of the latest version. The biggest dependencies are the Visual C++ runtime library and the GDI+ runtime library - in general, the Dependency Walker (www.dependencywalker.com) is an excellent tool to discover/resolve dependencies.

The installation is built with INNO Setup Compiler, and the source for the installation (for those who are curious) is available through the SVN repository. I'd strongly suggest using the installation rather than building your own - it's been thoroughly tested on all supported operating systems.

Thanks,
--Chris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2006 05:28PM by cmichaelis.

Date: January 22, 2006 05:51PM

Chris,

Appreciate the feedback. Please realize that the .ocx is deployed as part of another application. I'm sure integrated apps are the most common use of MapWindow. As a result, separate installs are just not acceptable, especially considering the number of dialup users that still exist. I also don't believe in including runtimes that are already part of a base Windows install.

Our software also is not portable outside of the US/Canada, so duplicate .ocx's also serve no purpose for me for foreign characters. Again, our goal is to get the software to install on Win98 through XP/2003 with the absolute minimum overhead.

I have done this in under 3MB, as compressed from the lastest .ocx of 3.9MB and the 4 required msv*.dll's that total about 2MB.

I haven't ever come across a machine that doesn't have GDIplus on it. The number of Windows programs that use it are countless.

A very interesting dialogue indeed.
Evan

Date: January 22, 2006 08:43PM

Evan (and others who come across this),

The installation is intended to be included inside other installs, not as a separately run entity. Read above for the useful setup flags -- i.e., /verysilent -- most installation systems have a way to shell out to an executable, giving it some particular flags.

The installer is built to cover any possible condition - i.e., a machine running a fresh installation of the target OS or any combination of software that may be installed. I agree on the idea of not including base files that are shipped with Windows - but there are a surprising number of seemingly basic components that aren't included in a fresh install, such as the common dialog control. The installations that we put out as official releases are intended to be as widely compatible as possible, to cover any combination of hardware and preexisting software.

I'm pleased you've been able to find a solution that fits your needs -- as with all things, installations should be done according to the need.

--Chris

Date: January 22, 2006 09:26PM

And I thank you all for such a wonderful piece of software that I'm just understanding the tip of the iceberg about. The dedication to additions, bug removal, memory enhancements/leak detection, etc... is just incredible, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

My original post was an intent to help those who try to distribute the .ocx through the VB6 package & Deployment wizard. It was a frustrating 2 hours trying to figure out what appeared to be correct did not work.

Hopefully this solution may help others and likewise that my many newbie/nuissance questions may receive equal answers from the wonderful folks here.

Thanks again,
Evan

Date: January 23, 2006 10:16AM

Hi all. I'm very supportive of folks building their own install packages that include the MapWinGIS.ocx. In fact, this is one of the key reasons why we have endeavored to package this as one file (rather than a set of ocx's or dll's) the idea being to simplify its use and redistribution for end users. There is a list of MS dependencies somewhere on this forum (search "dependencies" and make sure your search is set to search all posts, not just the last 30 days). You can also get at the dependencies using the tool "Dependency Walker" (Google it if you don't have it). In many cases the prebuilt installers we've made should work fine, but likely not in all cases. By the way, Evan, we need to get you listed on the MapWindow Team page: [www.mapwindow.org].

Dan

download mapwin.ocx failed . other link?
Posted by: maslop ()
Date: February 27, 2006 03:17AM

Good Morning, I do not succeed to download me the mapwingis.ocs to me in the section of the site, you can give an other to me link where to be able to downloadit or eventually to deposit it near a my ftp site? Thank you

Bobby Jean

Excuse.me for my english

Re: download mapwin.ocx failed . other link?
Date: February 27, 2006 09:10AM

Hi Bobby,

Here is a link to the MapWinGIS.ocx installer:

[mapwindow.org]

Good luck!
--Chris

Posted by: puchili1999 ()
Date: March 13, 2006 01:06PM

Please !! I Need help for assistance with Mapwingis.ocx control to develop an application with Visual Basic 6.0
I need create a layer on shape file .shp with a lot of points asociated with addresses on .dbf file and store it
once made this, i need make a search and show it on map.
I you can share a sample code with me please send it me to jgonzalez.ar@gmail.com

Please help me !!
Sorry by my english I'm from Brasil
thanks a lot to everyone

Posted by: puchili1999 ()
Date: March 13, 2006 01:06PM

Please !! I Need help for assistance with Mapwingis.ocx control to develop an application with Visual Basic 6.0
I need create a layer on shape file .shp with a lot of points asociated with addresses on .dbf file and store it
once made this, i need make a search and show it on map.
I you can share a sample code with me please send it me to jgonzalez.ar@gmail.com

Please help me !!
Sorry by my english I'm from Brasil
thanks a lot to everyone

Date: March 13, 2006 01:36PM

Puchili,

You need to use the ShapeFile.CreateNew function and the Shapefile.StartEditingShapes function and the Shapefile.Starteditingtable function. These are all well documented here on the discussion forum and on the wiki help page. I suggest starting here:

[www.mapwindow.org]

Dan

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Banner Exchange

GISCP.com

Send us your banner logo (160x120) for the space above, and add this MapWindow banner ad to your site:

Just paste this text in your page: