MapWindow 4 - ActiveX Control Programming : MapWindow Discussion Forum
Hi All I have added two layers to the map, and they are visibly overlapping. One layer of polygons (5) and one layer of points (~10000). Trying to determine which polygons contain each of the points, using the following code: Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender
Point in polygon
Posted by: jacksonmacd ()
Date: May 12, 2005 02:20PM

Hi All

I have added two layers to the map, and they are visibly overlapping. One layer of polygons (5) and one layer of points (~10000). Trying to determine which polygons contain each of the points, using the following code:

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
Dim sfPolygon As New MapWinGIS.Shapefile()
Dim sfPoints As New MapWinGIS.Shapefile()
Dim i As Integer
Dim pt As New MapWinGIS.Point()
Dim iShp As Int32

sfPoints = AxMap1.get_GetObject(0)
sfPolygon = AxMap1.get_GetObject(1)

For i = 0 To sfPoints.NumShapes - 1
pt = sfPoints.Shape(i).Point(0)
iShp = sfPolygon.PointInShapefile(pt.x, pt.y)
ListBox1.Items.Add(i & " " & pt.x.ToString & " " & pt.y.ToString & " " & iShp)
Next
End Sub

The iShp variable returns (-1, not within any shape) for all of the points. What am I doing wrong?

My plan is to populate one field of the Points datatable with the index of the polygon that it lies within -- the ListBox is just for testing. Is this the correct way to attack this problem (ie, looping through all the points)?

TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point in polygon
Posted by: jacksonmacd ()
Date: May 12, 2005 03:18PM

Found the answer to the first question -- a call to BeginPointInShapeFile made it work properly.

Re: Point in polygon
Posted by: stevecaps47 ()
Date: January 03, 2011 02:52PM

Hi, I'm trying to do the exact same thing, how did you/how would someone solve this problem?
I have one layer that is a parcel map, the other point is lat/long points plotted on that map and I'd like to know what parcel each point lays on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Banner Exchange

GISCP.com

Send us your banner logo (160x120) for the space above, and add this MapWindow banner ad to your site:

Just paste this text in your page: